The cake flavor variations below are based on the Vanilla Cake recipe post.
Vanilla Cake Variations
You can use the basic vanilla cake recipe to make different flavors, with a few simple substitutions
- Replace plain sugar with ¾ cup packed dark-brown sugar.
- Replace vanilla with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon cloves or use 1 1/2 teaspoons apple or pumpkin pie spice
- Replace vanilla with 1 teaspoon lemon extract.
- Add 1 Tablespoon lemon zest with egg and milk.
- Replace vanilla with 1 teaspoon orange extract.
- Add 1 Tablespoon orange zest with egg and milk.
Replace the vanilla ingredients with one of the flavor groups below:
Follow instructions for the Vanilla Cake, making one of the substitutions above.