Use a standard taco preparation with condiments (see Recipe Notes below), but instead of a prepared packet of taco seasoning—which usually has MSG, among other additives—use the following per every pound of meat.
- 1 lb ground meat (usually beef, chicken or turkey)
Spice Mixture (quantity per 1-lb meat; can be doubled, but salt to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated or powdered onion
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup water
Mix all spices in a small bowl.
Brown ground meat in wide, flat pan set to medium heat, stirring frequently to break up clumps.
When meat is browned, add spice mixture and stir for about 2 minutes.
Add water, bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until water has evaporated.
Serve with prepared taco shells and condiments, such as:
- chopped onions (regular or scallions)
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sliced black olives
- hot sauce (Frank’s Hot Sauce is our favorite)