At a graduation celebration at a Greek restaurant, we finished our main course quite stuffed. When the waiter asked if we wanted dessert we all agreed we were too full. But then, the very smart owner appeared with an upsell we couldn’t resist: a bowl of fresh strawberries marinated with a little Grand Marnier. We accepted and it turned out to be a very refreshing end to the meal!
Ever since, whenever fresh fruit is in season, I’ve made this one of my go-to desserts for company.
A great fruit-based dessert or snack that's easy enough for kids to make.
- 1/2 cup per serving Fresh fruit such as berries peaches or nectarines
Potential flavorings - choose one
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon Chambord raspberry liqueur
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla syrup the type used to flavor coffee drinks
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto almond liqueur
- 1 teaspoon Almond syrup the type used to flavor coffee drinks
- 2 Tablespoons whipped cream or vanilla ice cream optional
Slice fruit into bowl
Add flavoring of choice and stir
Eat immediately or refrigerate
Serve as is or with whipped cream or ice cream
If you're serving adults, you might like one of the liqueur additions. For children, the vanilla is a good substitute.