Yogurt is a favorite for breakfast and snacks. But instead of going for the pre-sweetened ones, add your own fruit and flavors to plain whole yogurt for a healthier version.
Try this instead of pre-sweetened yogurt.
- ¾ cup plain whole yogurt, or Greek, if you prefer (Whole yogurt is much less tart than the low- or non-fat varieties so it doesn’t demand extra sweeteners.)
- ½ cup sliced or chopped fresh or defrosted frozen fruit (bananas, berries, peaches or apples)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon—adds sweetness without sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sliced, slivered, or chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans or nuts of your choice)
- 2 Tablespoons plain, unsweetened (or very lightly sweetened), crunchy cereal, such as Grape Nuts. (unsweetened (or very lightly sweetened).)
- In serving bowl, mix yogurt with cinnamon.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir.